About Me

My photo
Experienced Information Technology leader, author, system administrator, and systems architect.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Book Review: Offshoring Information Technology

Carmel and Tjia have written an excellent book that is full of penetrating insights into the advantages and difficulties associated with offshoring.

Anyone who manages globally dispersed teams is familiar with the problems that arise due to differences in culture, time zone, language, education, and professional expectations. Carmel and Tjia take a hard-nosed look at what the research actually shows about each of these topics.

In some ways, the research confirmed what I was already seeing in terms of the difficulties associated with managing a dispersed team. But the applied research has provided me with new insights and ideas about how to overcome the obstacles and exploit the advantages of a dispersed team. I've read the book several times now, and I never come away from the book without a fresh idea of something I can try to make my team work together more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment